Appreciating Arizona

When I moved here 36 years ago from New Jersey, I felt I had moved to another world. It took me awhile to adjust to the open skies, the desert, and people talking real slooooow.

Now I feel like a native and a visitor. I discover new places and things to do constantly. Watching the state grow has been energizing and dismal at times. But with growth comes more options for living our lives to the fullest.

I have been sharing my travel adventures also on http://www.examiner.com/travel-in-phoenix/cindi-reiss


I welcome your comments and experiences in living in our grand state in a grand way.

Happy 100 years to Arizona! 1912-2012







Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Jen's Baby Shower





We have been waiting for a long time to have our first grandchild.  And now my adorably pregnant Jen and her husband Greg are expecting little Logan in February.  So having her baby shower recently was fabulous and my Jen was radiant with her baby belly proudly holding our grandson.




The shower was a joint venture of friends and family pitching in to decorate, cook and carry on games with snazzy prizes.  It was an emotional time for me, not just because of the impending birth, but because of the love I felt as so many people were gathered together from different areas of our lives to celebrate this momentous journey.  It gave me the chance to reflect on my life and all of the people who are so important to me.  Milestone events do that to us and I’m very grateful to have all of you in my life, whether you were there or not, if you are reading this, you are important in my life.


Jen’s childhood friend, who now lives in CA, was the master planner and I have watched Kristin grow up from a rambunctious little one to a wife, mother, baker and planner extraordinaire.  The decorations were just ‘ducky’ and were perfect for my waddling daughter!
 


The tables were adorned with their own private duck ponds created by Jen’s friend, Paula, one of the delightful co-workers from her teaching.  Sister Andrea made ‘duck feed’ mementos to complete the table décor.  Laura, another co-worker, completed the joyful decorations.



Food was yummy as Jen’s friends from middle school, Kris and Stacey, and my friend from their middle school days, Kathy, (Kris’s mom) worked their magic.  Kathy’s blue and yellow deviled eggs were devilishly delish and Stacey’s culinary expertise included the cantaloupe ‘baby’ enjoying his pacifier.  And Kris cut veggies for the first time, watch out Martha Stewart!
 




 The bubblegum babies made by the attendees were hysterical and how people can shape such intricate anatomically correct bodies out of such a small piece of gum is incredible.  Somebody’s been doing some research!  


Another Kristin, this one Jen’s friend, through Greg, had the fabulous idea of each table writing a book for baby Logan.  We were given a blank hard cover book, a set of stickers and markers, and oh how the creativity flourished.  Each table followed the theme of their stickers and we had aliens, pirates, beach scenes and more.  Most of all, Logan has several books that are all about him or how he was created, which we’ll leave till he’s a bit older.


The many gifts were so fun to open as I took in all of the baby basics that I had never seen before.  Times sure have changed since I was changing diapers.  And Kathy, those are pacifiers, not light socket holders!


Of course, I wrote a poem and made a collage.  I started with Jen’s own shower, and was thrilled to have friends that had attended that shower many moons ago, there to celebrate again.  We haven’t aged at all, have we, Judy, Francie and Rose!  Memories came flooding back as I went through pictures of the years growing up and how that little baby grew so quickly and is now going to be a mother herself.  



Now the fun is watching the nursery being created as Jen’s in-laws, Debbie and Dennis, who came in from Oregon, painted the room with waves across the walls for the surfer dude theme.  You can take the girl out of Hawaii, but you can’t take Hawaii out of the girl.


Thank you Jen and Greg for this wondrous opportunity to be a grandparent.  I am truly blessed to have such love and positive energy surrounding me and I am anxiously awaiting the birth of little Logan.




10 comments:

  1. How Fun! What a lucky young man he will be with a family and friends like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed getting to experience the baby shower through your pictures and text. Looked like fun and those babies shaped like gum....to cute! What a blessed and exciting time this is for your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Susanne, it will be a new experience that I'm ready for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Cindi! Can't wait to hear an announcement and see your grandbaby pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Het geen wonder ԁаt de mensen die zijn n een vakantiе om dеze pгachtіge eilanden komеn terug mеt
    herinneгingеn die hen een leven lang .

    Het geωorden eеn trend goeԁkope skatеboаrd kleding, omdаt νan
    de slechte staat in de econοmieën
    met de . Ooκ іn geԁachten houdеn dat honkballеrs met een
    300-carrière gemiԁdeldе komen de Basеball Hall of
    Fame.

    My web site http://www.0900Vergelijk.nl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grеetingѕ from Сolorаԁo! I'm bored at work so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the info you provide here and can't waіt
    to take a loοk when I get home. I'm surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my phone .. I'm not eѵеn uѕing WIFI, just 3G .
    . Αnуhow, amazing blog!

    Ϻy web sіte Www.Squidoo.Com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Currеntly it sеemѕ like Movable
    Tуpе is the prеfеrred blοgging platform аvаilable гіght now.
    (from what I've read) Is that what you're using on your blog?



    Alѕo visit my homepage :: babydeken

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah Jen's baby shower is stunning. I liked watching all these pictures. Well dear, my mom’s birthday is approaching soon and I was just thinking about a nice theme for that. Want to host this bash at some garden themed San Francisco venues. Do you have suggestions for suitable theme?

    ReplyDelete